These pancakes are high in protein, calcium, and fiber. The ricotta and your choice of buttermilk or kefir adds additional protein and calcium. Get your child to help you measure, pour, and mix!
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (sub applesauce or omit for <2 year olds)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk/kefir
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to do:
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk or kefir, ricotta, egg, oil, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined but still slightly lumpy.
- Spray your cooking surface with nonstick cooking spray or a little melted butter, place 1/4 cup of the pancake batter in the pan (for smaller pancakes use less batter)
- Flip when pancakes start to bubble (cook time ~3 minutes per side or until cooked through.) Freeze any and all leftovers!
Save or pin this post for easy access!
Want to feel confident knowing you have some simple, kind phrases up your sleeve to reduce your stress and frustrations at mealtimes? Get started below. Start minimizing mealtime meltdowns and stop fighting with your child so you can enjoy mealtimes again.