Let’s cut the crap (if you want to read some nutritional stuff, scroll down.) Here’s what you’ll need to bake these bad boy brownies:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter/margarine melted (look for margarine without trans fat)
- 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/8 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup (heaping) cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Zest of one orange (optional)
- In a mixing bowl beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add melted butter and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients in another bowl and mix
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, add chocolate chips and mix until just combined
- Pour batter into a greased 8 inched square baking pan
- Bake in oven at 350F for 25 minutes (for gooier brownies check a few minutes earlier)
- Check done-ness with wooden toothpick
Nutritionally, these are not a “healthified” brownie in my book.
Originally the recipe called for all AP flour and 1 full cup of sugar.
My husband can’t tell the difference when I use 50/50 whole wheat/AP flour, and he also can’t tell when I’ve reduced the sugar to 3/4 cup.
I didn’t want to mess up the texture and taste of the brownie to make it “healthy”. Sometimes, we’re allowed to enjoy a real brownie!!
If you’re ready to get into the Mini Meals Mindset at snack time, sign up below for my Snack Staples List and join my NIFTY community (NIFTY = Nutrition Info + Feeding Tips for You!)